Safe Helidecks Pty Ltd (SHD) is a dynamic business that combines the skills and disciplines gained from being practitioners within the helicopter industry for more than 70+ years.
The audit techniques and methodology that SHD adheres to and references include:
• United Kingdom CAP 437 – Standards for Offshore Helicopter Landing Areas;
• Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) CAAP 92-4 – Guidelines for the development and operation of off-shore helicopter landing sites, including vessels;
• Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) CAAP 92-2 – Guidelines for the establishment and use of helicopter landing sites (HLS);
• International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) publication Annex 14 Volume 2 – Standards for helideck and land based facilities;
• OPITO – Oil and Gas Industry’s guidelines;
• ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management Systems for auditing techniques;
• Oil and Gas Producers (OGP) specific policies, procedures and manuals relating to an installation; and
• Best industry practices and years of experience in operating helicopters.
A certification inspection or audit will include opening meeting and closing meeting where any findings or recommendations are discussed with the installation operator and a win-win outcome can be mutually agreed upon for non-compliances based on objective evidence. Checklists are used as a guideline and are a parameter setting tool for reference throughout the inspection and/or audit. This methodical process is recorded in a detailed and confidential final report that includes digital photographic records of all noticeable aspects of the inspection and/or audit. Post inspection and/or audit advice and guidance is offered as to the most appropriate corrective and preventative actions.
Audits and inspections not only extend to the helideck/helipad but also to helideck/helipad surrounds, environmental factors, operations, helideck staff training, helideck staff personal protection equipment (PPE), safety and procedures. Helicopter refuelling installations are inspected and/or audited in accordance with CAP 437 and best industry practice.