Safe Helidecks Pty Ltd (SHD) is a dynamic business that combines the skills and disciplines gained from being practitioners within the helicopter industry for more than 60 years.
The audit techniques and methodology that SHD adheres to and references include:
• United Kingdom CAP 437 – Standards for Offshore Helicopter Landing Areas;
• Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) CAAP 92-4 – Guidelines for the development and operation of off-shore helicopter landing sites, including vessels;
• Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) CAAP 92-2 – Guidelines for the establishment and use of helicopter landing sites (HLS);
• International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) publication Annex 14 Volume 2 – Standards for helideck and land based facilities;
• OPITO – Oil and Gas Industry’s guidelines;
• ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management Systems for auditing techniques;
• Oil and Gas Producers (OGP) specific policies, procedures and manuals relating to an installation; and
• Best industry practices and years of experience in operating helicopters.
A certification inspection or audit will include opening meeting and closing meeting where any findings or recommendations are discussed with the installation operator and a win-win outcome can be mutually agreed upon for non-compliances based on objective evidence. Checklists are used as a guideline and are a parameter setting tool for reference throughout the inspection and/or audit. This methodical process is recorded in a detailed and confidential final report that includes digital photographic records of all noticeable aspects of the inspection and/or audit. Post inspection and/or audit advice and guidance is offered as to the most appropriate corrective and preventative actions.
Audits and inspections not only extend to the helideck/helipad but also to helideck/helipad surrounds, environmental factors, operations, helideck staff training, helideck staff personal protection equipment (PPE), safety and procedures. Helicopter refuelling installations are inspected and/or audited in accordance with CAP 437 and best industry practice.